Dear Researcher,

My fiance and I are an interracial couple and although we are very happy and our family approves of our relationship, there are many in society who don’t. I have been reading a lot about lack of relationship satisfaction and commitment in interracial couples compared to intraracial couples. Is this true?

Thanks,

Beth

Hey Beth!

I am glad to hear that you are in a happy relationship where your family approves! While yes, interracial relationships and marriages have been looked down upon in society, and thus face more challenges that intraracial there is little evidence to show that being from two differences races can actually cause a lower quality relationship.

According to Troy & Lewis-Smith who conducted research regarding the differences between inter- and intraracial couples and their commitment, conflict patterns, satisfaction, relationship efficacy, and attachment style (2006). Despite hypothesizing that societal disapproval and pressures could cause lower commitment, satisfaction, and efficacy in interracial relationships and instead higher conflict patterns, this was not proven true. Across the two studies they actually found no difference in many of these categories between interracial and intraracial couples. In fact, in the first study they found significantly higher satisfaction in interracial couples! (2006).

Interestingly this idea of higher satisfaction for interracial couples was also found in Lehmiller & Agnew’s study the effect of being in a marginalized relationship on influences of commitment (satisfaction, investment, and quality of alternatives) (2005). In their results they found no overall difference among the two groups in terms of overall commitment but found that marginalized couples did have lower investments compared to non marginalized couples but this was made up for with higher satisfaction. According to the investment model of interdependence theory those three qualities (satisfaction, investment, and quality of alternatives) influence commitment levels and each one can vary, thus affecting overall commitment. In this study despite the influential factors, commitment levels did not change. An according to the theory, commitment then predicts relationship longevity. So, according to the study commitment levels are the same thus longevity of interracial vs. intraracial couples does not differ either.

Overall, I think you and your fiance have nothing to worry about! You clearly have committed to each other and have the support of your families. Research does not indicate any significant differences in commitment and longevity amongst interracial couples.

Sincerely,

Katelyn

References:

Lehmiller, J.J., & Agnew, C.R. (2006). Marginalized relationships: The impact of social disapproval on romantic relationship commitment. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 32, 40-51 (e)

Troy, A. B., Lewis-Smith, J., & Laurenceau, J. (2006). Interracial and intraracial romantic relationships: The search for differences in satisfaction, conflict, and attachment style. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 23(1), 65-80. doi:10.1177/0265407506060178

69 comments on “Are Interracial couples less comitted?

• I agree with your response to Beth- As long as Beth and her partner are happy and are committed to each other than they should not have any major problems. This doesn’t mean that their relationship might go through rough patches because of their races, or possible cultural differences. I believe it would also be beneficial to mention changing societal norms. How do you think investment, satisfaction, and commitment may change in interracial couples as societal norms change?

• I also agree with your response to Beth; however, I wonder how interracial couples compensate for commitment and happiness when a decent proportion of society disapproves of them. Do they have particular cognitive or behavioral mechanisms that they utilize in order to shake off some of the emotional stress that comes from disapproval (such as coping methods)? What interventions can be put into place to help normalize interracial couples without labeling or generalizing them?

• While your research focuses on society and its disapproval of interracial relationships, it would be interesting to explore the role of social networks. Lehmiller and Agnew considered the extent to which close others (family and friends) were approving of marginalized relationships. For that reason, it would be interesting to explore whether marginalization from social networks holds more weight that the marginalization from society when considering relationship satisfaction and commitment.

• I remember we talked about how social support from family and friends plays an important role in promoting closeness, relationship satisfaction and relationship longevity. In Beth’s case, I wonder whether approval from the family moderates the negative effects of social norms.

• I want to show appreciation to this writer for rescuing me from this type of situation. Right after exploring through the internet and meeting opinions which were not productive, I thought my life was gone. Existing without the presence of answers to the issues you have sorted out by way of this posting is a serious case, and the ones that could have adversely damaged my entire career if I hadn’t come across your web blog. Your natural talent and kindness in controlling almost everything was important. I don’t know what I would’ve done if I had not come across such a solution like this. I am able to at this moment relish my future. Thanks so much for the high quality and result oriented guide. I will not think twice to refer the website to any person who requires direction on this situation.

• Zune and iPod: Most people compare the Zune to the Touch, but after seeing how slim and surprisingly small and light it is, I consider it to be a rather unique hybrid that combines qualities of both the Touch and the Nano. It’s very colorful and lovely OLED screen is slightly smaller than the touch screen, but the player itself feels quite a bit smaller and lighter. It weighs about 2/3 as much, and is noticeably smaller in width and height, while being just a hair thicker.

• The Zune concentrates on being a Portable Media Player. Not a web browser. Not a game machine. Maybe in the future it’ll do even better in those areas, but for now it’s a fantastic way to organize and listen to your music and videos, and is without peer in that regard. The iPod’s strengths are its web browsing and apps. If those sound more compelling, perhaps it is your best choice.

• This is getting a bit more subjective, but I much prefer the Zune Marketplace. The interface is colorful, has more flair, and some cool features like ‘Mixview’ that let you quickly see related albums, songs, or other users related to what you’re listening to. Clicking on one of those will center on that item, and another set of “neighbors” will come into view, allowing you to navigate around exploring by similar artists, songs, or users. Speaking of users, the Zune “Social” is also great fun, letting you find others with shared tastes and becoming friends with them. You then can listen to a playlist created based on an amalgamation of what all your friends are listening to, which is also enjoyable. Those concerned with privacy will be relieved to know you can prevent the public from seeing your personal listening habits if you so choose.

• Apple now has Rhapsody as an app, which is a great start, but it is currently hampered by the inability to store locally on your iPod, and has a dismal 64kbps bit rate. If this changes, then it will somewhat negate this advantage for the Zune, but the 10 songs per month will still be a big plus in Zune Pass’ favor.

• The new Zune browser is surprisingly good, but not as good as the iPod’s. It works well, but isn’t as fast as Safari, and has a clunkier interface. If you occasionally plan on using the web browser that’s not an issue, but if you’re planning to browse the web alot from your PMP then the iPod’s larger screen and better browser may be important.

• Hands down, Apple’s app store wins by a mile. It’s a huge selection of all sorts of apps vs a rather sad selection of a handful for Zune. Microsoft has plans, especially in the realm of games, but I’m not sure I’d want to bet on the future if this aspect is important to you. The iPod is a much better choice in that case.

• Between me and my husband we’ve owned more MP3 players over the years than I can count, including Sansas, iRivers, iPods (classic & touch), the Ibiza Rhapsody, etc. But, the last few years I’ve settled down to one line of players. Why? Because I was happy to discover how well-designed and fun to use the underappreciated (and widely mocked) Zunes are.

• I’ll gear this review to 2 types of people: current Zune owners who are considering an upgrade, and people trying to decide between a Zune and an iPod. (There are other players worth considering out there, like the Sony Walkman X, but I hope this gives you enough info to make an informed decision of the Zune vs players other than the iPod line as well.)

• If you’re still on the fence: grab your favorite earphones, head down to a Best Buy and ask to plug them into a Zune then an iPod and see which one sounds better to you, and which interface makes you smile more. Then you’ll know which is right for you.

• Sorry for the huge review, but I’m really loving the new Zune, and hope this, as well as the excellent reviews some other people have written, will help you decide if it’s the right choice for you.